Monday, February 15, 2016

Too Short for this Ordinary

OK here I go!  This kind chap is hanging onto the bike frame because my feet don't reach the pedals.  I was so enthralled at being allowed to ride an "ordinary" (a longtime dream) that I forgot the Billingsite owner's name.  He let us ride it after a bicycle film fest.  I love this town!  Always something cool happening and super interesting, friendly, helpful people everywhere.  One never knows what surprises are in store when one wakes up in the morning....

I'm finally embarking on fulfilling my greatest worldly desire of making art.  I've squashed & covered up this desire for at least 42 years, permitting myself to merely dabble once in awhile.  Now I'm diving in.  Full immersion.  A skill that doesn't come naturally; an unpracticed skill.  My studio log from yesterday reads "erasing, holding my breath, crying - 8 hrs".  But by bedtime, I had produced three pieces I'm crazy about & I think will delight others.

This journey feels similar to  - but more intense than -  riding an ordinary for the first time when my feet didn't reach the pedals.  It's more like the moment I had to let go of the wing when I went skydiving (not tandem; I had to deploy, brake, & steer).

  I'm so grateful for my mentors, who are hanging onto my metaphorical bike frame.  Robin Earles, of Buffalo Art Press (http://www.buffaloartpress.com), is the most amazing drawing teacher & one of Billings' best kept secrets.  Anyone would benefit from her classes (+ the health-giving laughter we enjoy each class).  I'm about to start a watercolor class taught by Noel Hawke (will share her contact info after I get permission), an irresistibly personable & bright gal whose mere presence inspires me.  Sheri Jarvis (https://www.facebook.com/SheriJarvisPottery/) & Meagan & Michael Blessing (http://blessingfineart.com) are my incredibly talented, endearing, & hilarious coaches & cheerleaders.  My spiritual parents, Amma & Bhagavan, have guided & given me so much, I can't even begin to thank them enough.  All I can do is bow & weep & feel joy spread through every cell of my being.  The greatest one on my team, the one to which I fall on my knees in gratitude every day... is my Divine.  But I will gladly accept assistance from anyone ;)

MAY YOU TAKE HEALTH-GIVING RISKS, 
KNOWING THAT YOU ARE GUIDED & SUPPORTED

3 comments:

  1. Sam Crawford= Odinary bike owner! This is a delightful way to get into the mind of a favorite friend. I'm looking forward to reading your blog. Love love love you. Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I knew you'd know that fellow. Thanks for telling his name, as I wanted to give him propers. BTW you took this photo. I am also immensely grateful to YOU, my belovéd BFF, for all that you are and all that we share. You are a huge inspiration every day :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Big shout out to Sam Crawford for being such a generous gentleman! He let a bunch of us ride his "penny farthing" that evening, helping each person mount/dismount + stabilizing the bike for folks whose feet didn't reach the pedals. Someone told me he volunteers for Eagle Mount. I can see how he'd be ideal for that :) BTW Kristi's feet reach the pedals {>

    ReplyDelete