Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Holding Her Station

24.2 cm x 32.7 cm soft pastel, May 2007
From my mind.  I have since learned that a bullfighter does not wear a flouncy scarf.  But I would ;P

Originally I made "Holding Her Station" to describe my overall feeling while being groomed to assume directorship of a prestigious, international, private, K-12 school in Costa Rica.  I had never lived outside of the USA, had a paltry command of Spanish (though I needed that as well as French, Russian, etc.), & was in a job w/ more challenges than I had encountered since puberty.  My characteristic, lifelong hiccups disappeared for two weeks!  But I felt so alive.  I felt like I was contributing in some bumbling manner, walking w/ a positive footprint... and standing in my suit of lights, facing El Toro (challenges).  You can see the "Whoosh!" of the air above my red cape.

{BTW while doing this piece, I thought that a toreador suit would make a fabulous (& highly visible) cycling kit!  Pearl Izumi said they would evaluate a design if it was patented.  There's an idea for you, anyone who wants to do this.  Just please make a woman-shaped version of it, too.  And notify me so I can buy one.}

Now I relate to this piece as a metaphor for facing the slavering bull of managing my time.  A brilliant cellist has curvature of the spine from his work.  A great & influential thinker got carbuncles on his bum from sitting to write his magnum opus.  A master painter had a disastrously messy home.  I am grateful to people like this for their sacrifices for their huge contributions to humanity, but I choose a more balanced, healthful life for myself.

I enjoy connecting w/ people (friends/strangers, in all moods/dispositions).  People delight & energize me.  I enjoy doing useful things, whether vigorous physical labor, serving food to homeless folks, brainstorming/meditating together, or listening to someone unload (or lock 'n' load, since I live in Montana).  This human experience is so unbelievably rich!  

        .... But I'm doing art now.  I've given the last two decades of time/energy to helping/working (w/ & w/out pay) & stepping up to the plate when someone needs something.  These next several years are for Lisa.  I must create art w/ improving proficiency so that I keep my life force; I am sealing the leaks.  I must hold my station every time someone suggests that I should do more of whatever they are doing.  Of course it's so nice to be invited & to know that other people want me around (thank you; I'm fond of you too).  Of course I will continue to step up to the plate for friends, & as the Divine guides me to.   Will my intention be easier to notice if I'm wearing a suit of lights?  

I like the Costa Rican way of stating what one does (for occupation or avocation):  "I dedicate myself to...."  ¡Y así, me dedico al arte hasta nuevo aviso!

¡MAY YOU DISCOVER & RUN WITH YOUR PASSION!
¡PUEDE QUE DESCUBRA Y CORRER CON SU PASION!



2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting mind puzzle, especially if you do not know to look for a bull fighter. Brilliant use of negative space to grab the viewer's attention. The similarity of the green shades in the back of the shirt fooled me into trying to connect the ground behind him into a shape not at all bull fighter like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled! That's the cool thing about allegory: it's often very subtle or downright hidden.

      Delete