Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Personal Mountain Realm


14" x 18", oil, October 2012

This lives in my studio, beneath the doghouse-style skylights (thanks to Ed Gulick of High Plains Architects & TurnLeaf Construction for energy-efficient remodel).  The studio feels like an owl aerie: 
~  halfway up the Rimrocks, w/ huge skylights looking up to the top of "the Rims" (what the locals call them), big windows w/ views along the Rims both East & West; sweeping views of the Yellowstone Valley + three mountain ranges to the South: Bighorns, Pryors, & Beartooths
~  pictures of mountains & Mountain Goats (one of the three animals I most identify with)
~  a year-round soundscape of Great Horned Owls, Red Foxes, & sundry birds (ex., Canyon Wren, Western Kingbird, Rough-legged Hawk)
~  smells: mostly the herbal teas I drink a lot of, graphite, paint, turp; visitor-smells (when the windows & skylights are open) include pine & woodsmoke (especially this past Summer)
This is my lofftice!  Too nice to hog all to myself, so sometimes friends come over & do their thang (ex., one does pastels, another plays her flute) while I do mine.  I love both company & solitude.
MAY YOUR ATMOSPHERE BE PLEASING TO YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment