Saturday, February 20, 2016

Steady Hand


2" x 3", 2B graphite & Not-2B eraser ;P
Detail of a photo taken by Joel Bowers

Finished "Steady Hand" last night.    
It will be in the Miniature Artworks Show @ Sunrise Studio & Art Gallery (2923 Montana Ave) February 22 - March 7.  Come watch us actually work on art & meet the artists @ the artists' reception February 25, 6:00 - 9:00pm... & bring a magnifying glass!  

"Steady Hand" is from a photo my wonderful husband took in Nov. 2012, in Tamil Nadu, South India.  At 10:30am our friend Vijayji told me that extra digits are very auspicious in Dravidian culture.  Excited that their culture values this anomaly instead of cutting them off, I prayed for the sight of this.  4:30pm I noticed that the artist painting mendhi on my right hand/arm had a vestigial "thumb"  - no knuckles, nail, or prints -  on his right hand.  This drawing shows the moment I noticed (I remember how much of the design he had applied already).  I noticed mainly because of the facial expressions of Vijay Vijaysan!  BTW if you go to Chennai, you'll want to know Vijay, so ask me.

The Divine DOES respond to our prayers/intentions!!  And it doesn't have to be about something "noble" such as "make me more patient"!  Prayers can be "answered" so fast, in ways you didn't expect... so PAY ATTENTION :)

The script in the upper right-hand corner is in Tamil.  It says, "mendhi 80 rupees". 

Notice the perspective; the artist's toe in the lower left corner is a clue.  Which knee is my wrist resting on?  Whose hand is supporting the top hand to steady it?  What is his right pinky finger braced against to provide more stability?  Did I do a decent job of drawing a gold-foil mendhi holder (shaped like a cake decorator) in graphite?

This is the debut of my new signature.  The four dots over the "i" represent the Trapezium in the Orion Nebula.  This is gravid with symbolism & actual amazing facts.  But that's a whole 'nother essay.  Ask me if you want to know.  I will answer you during office hours :)


No comments:

Post a Comment