Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Teacup & Apple


6" x 6" oil
June 2016
"Two Swan Necks"

This is a tribute to Sarah Orne Jewett (my fave author when I lived in New Hampshire; she lived in Maine 1849 - 1909) because she would LOVE the teacup, & she painted on porcelain (which both of these objects are).

I'm working w/ a simpler composition in order to use this as a study in diffuse reflective light.  Since I've been enjoying lightly colored herbal teas, & my work area is directly beneath an oversized skylight, I painted the sky reflected in the tea.  This is the only intentional symbolism in this piece.  I don't need to be literary ALL the time; I just need to improve my painting skills!

There is one trompe de l'oeil: On the teacup, to the left of the lowermost peony, is the capital of an Ionic column.  I thought a bit of Classical architecture would go nicely on a flowery teacup.  Then I painted the column's shadow outside of the teacup, as if the painted image is casting a shadow.  Why did I do that?  Ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment